Chicken Enchilada Bake
Wrapped in tasty tortillas and served in a large baking dish, this recipe is perfect for any gathering.PRINT RECIPE
- 8 Azteca® Flour Tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- salt to taste
Remove tortillas from refrigerator. Heat oven to 350° F. In medium saucepan melt margarine; saute onion & garlic in margarine until tender. Stir in 1/2 of the green chiles, sour cream & soup; mix well. Set aside 3/4 cup of the soup mixture. Stir in chicken and 1/2 cup cheese.
Warm tortillas as directed on package. Fill tortillas with chicken mixture; roll up. Place seam side down in un-greased 12 x 8-inch (2 quart) baking dish.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.
Spoon over enchiladas in dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. To serve, sprinkle with remaining cheese and drizzle with remaining red sauce.
Makes 8 enchiladas.